TOPIC: Women's Health
SPEAKER: Annette Heather, Women’s Health Clinical Nurse Consultant - Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District
June's Practice Nurse Community of Practice webinar will look at how to engage women in conversations that may be awkward for both the practitioner and the client and will include:
- How to explain the new cervical screening program to clients
- Cultural safety for working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and CALD women
- Positioning clients for a screen - tips on clinical skills (eg how to avoid causing pain)
- Cervical Screening – what to look for other than just issues with the cervix and some solutions for small issues
- What to do if you see something you are unsure of
- How to engage with under screened or never screened women (particularly Aboriginal women and those from disadvantaged groups) to encourage them to have screening
- Tips for placing reluctant or fearful patients at ease and means of helping them feel in control of their bodies (build their self-efficacy and confidence)
- Ways to help make the experience positive so that the women will continue with screening and not delay it next time as well as becoming an advocate for other unsure women
- How to bring up the tricky questions about sexual and reproductive health and what to do with the answers
- When to ring your LHD Women’s Health Nurse for advice, support or to refer a client
Link and instructions on how to join the webinar will be emailed to you prior to the day.
COORDINARE's education and networking meetings/webinars are available to health professionals working within our South Eastern NSW PHN catchment ONLY.
To find and contact your local PHN use the Department of Health PHN Locator here: https://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/PHN-Locator